Mailing instructions for applications submitted in Canada
Below you will find information about the mailing instructions for passports, visas, consular declarations and legalisations
On this page:
After you have submitted your application in person at a Dutch Diplomatic Mission, it will be shipped to the Regional Support Office (RSO) in Washington D.C. (visas) or The Hague (passports/other) for processing. The document will then be returned to the front office. At this point, you can either pick up the document in person or you can have it shipped back to you by submitting a
prepaid, self-addressed traceable envelope.
These options are also available to residents of the United States who have submitted an application in Canada.
Shipping documents within Canada
- Recommended: Canada Post ‘Xpresspost’ envelope , choose from ‘Regional’ or ‘National’ (whichever applies to you); up to 4 passports will fit the Standard (small) Size. Note: A special ‘sticker’ could be purchased and put on the envelope: this will require a signature upon delivery for added security. There are postal offices near the Embassy and Consulates
- FedEx (only pre-printed prepaid labels)
Shipping documents to the USA from Canada
- Canada Post ‘Xpresspost’ envelope for ‘USA’
- UPS (USA/international shipping label)
- FedEx (USA/international shipping label; ‘H’ labels are not accepted)
- DHL (USA/international shipping label)
- In addition to the prepaid self-addressed label with envelope, you must submit a copy of the label.
- Labeled envelopes need to be submitted preferably at the time of the application.
- The label needs to state your name as the shipper to be accepted.
- Labels marked C.O.D. (cash on delivery) will not be accepted.
Calculating shipping costs
To calculate the shipping costs, use the address of the Embassy or Consulate-General where you submit your application.
Mailing the documents directly to your (home) address is entirely
at your own risk.
The Embassy/Consulate-General is not responsible for loss of or damages to a document once it has been shipped using the label you provided.